DCSIMG

Banbridge man gets driving ban

A Banbridge man has been banned from driving for a year and fined £150 after pleading guilty to drink driving.

Paul Daniel McCartan (35) from The Mews, was deemed a suitable candidate for the drink drive offender’s course and if he completes this successfully, his period of disqualification may be reduced to nine months.

He appeared before Banbridge Magistrates Court last Thursday after being detected on 1 April last.

Police spotted him driving erratically at Scarva Street and located the vehicle shortly afterwards in Anderson Court.

It was unlocked and the lights were still on.

There was a strong smell of alcohol from McCartan and a preliminary test proved positive.

He was arrested and taken to the station where a blood test revealed he was 23mgs in excess of the legal limit.

A solicitor said McCartan had medical issues and had to drive everywhere.

He said that on the night in question his client had been in a bar with his brother and left due to a confrontation.

“He very foolishly decided to drive the 600-700 yards home and realises the results of his actions,” said McCartan’s solicitor.

“The outcome will have a dramatic impact on his life.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page