Man is banned from Banbridge

editorial image
0
Have your say

A 22-year-old man who was told his ‘loutish behaviour’ was unwelcome in Banbridge has been banned from the town on Friday and Saturday nights for the next two years.

Patrick Gerald O’Hanlon, Ballynamoney Grove, Craigavon, pleaded guilty last Thursday at Banbridge Magistrates Court to a charge of disorderly behaviour on March 1 this year.

The court heard that at 1.40am police were in Church Square, Banbridge, outside the Coach nightclub.

The defendant was a front seat passenger in a car and he became involved in an argument with a male on the footpath.

O’Hanlon then got out of the car and head-butted the other person.

The defendant, who was intoxicated, while he was being interviewed by police again tried to attack the other man.

The incident happened on Saturday night into Sunday morning.

A barrister representing O’Hanlon said it was ‘loutish behaviour’ but there was nothing on his record that suggested he was involved in this on a regular basis.

He explained that the defendant had been sitting in the car when there was a scraping at the window and the person outside was provoking him. With alcohol taken he reacted and got out of the car.

District Judge, Mr Paul Copeland, said this was ‘appalling conduct’ which was unwelcome in Banbridge.

He bound O’Hanlon over in the sum of £500 for two years to keep the peace and be of good behaviour.

The judge also banned him from being in Banbridge, as defined by the 30mph zone, from 10.30pm to 7am on Friday and Saturday nights for the next two years.