Up to 75 could face parade charges

Pacemaker Press INTL 28/05/2016
Republican SINN F�IN parade through the Kilwilkie Estate in Lurgan to the unveiling of the Vol. Edward Costello 1916 Memorial Garden
Photo Aidan OReilly Pacemaker Press

Pacemaker Press INTL 28/05/2016 Republican SINN F�IN parade through the Kilwilkie Estate in Lurgan to the unveiling of the Vol. Edward Costello 1916 Memorial Garden Photo Aidan OReilly Pacemaker Press

There could be as many as 75 people prosecuted as the result of an alleged illegal parade in Lurgan on May 28 this year.

And Craigavon Magistrates Court was also told yesterday (Wednesday) that because of the number of defendants the case would probably be heard in Belfast.

Two men, both from the Republic of Ireland, have already been charged in connection with the parade.

Seamus Raymond Byrne (53), The Orchard, Ardee, and Kevin Kavanagh (67), Carleys Bridge, Enniscorthy, are accused on taking part in an un-notified parade on May 28 this year in Lurgan.

A public prosecutor said there were a number of these cases which had been allocated to a senior prosecutor who was asking for a lengthy adjournment.

She added that there was a lot of CCTV coverage involved.

District Judge, Mr Peter King, asked how many potential defendants there were.

The prosecutor replied the number could be up to 75 and the matter would probably been heard in Belfast.

Judge King said it was a case where some degree of consolidation was needed.

He adjourned the cases involving Byrne and Kavanagh to November 9.