Community Awards criteria and categories
THE criteria for making a nomination to any category are as follows:
1. Nominees must be nominated by another person.
2. An individual may submit a maximum of three nominations but cannot nominate more than one person into any one category.
3. Nominees must have a permanent home or work address in the Banbridge District for at least twelve months preceding submission of the nomination.
4. All nominees must have undertaken the work for which they are being nominated in a voluntary capacity, except for nominations to the ‘Outstanding Bravery’ category.
5. All nominees are required to have a minimum of three years involvement in the activity for which they are being nominated. However, this is not a requirement for the categories ‘Outstanding Bravery’ and ‘Young Person of the Year’. A minimum of one year’s voluntary service is required for the ‘Young Person of the Year’ category.
6. Nominees will be deemed ineligible if they have won a Community/Civic Award at a previous ceremony organised by Banbridge District Council.
Youth Initiatives - To recognise an individual who has worked for the benefit of young people in the district. Examples include running a youth club, lobbying for youth facilities or helping young people reach their full potential.
Young Person of the Year (up to 16 years) - To recognise a young person aged 16 (by the closing date of Thursday 28th February 2013) or under who has made an outstanding contribution to their local school or community. Examples include undertaking voluntary work, supporting or mentoring others, care and dedication shown to another individual such as an elderly or disadvantaged person.
Protecting, Promoting and Enhancing Our Heritage and Environment - To recognise an individual who has made a significant contribution to protecting,
promoting or enhancing the district’s heritage and environment. Examples include organising activities such as a litter pick or planting trees and flowers.
Making Communities Safer - To recognise an individual who has contributed significantly to making their neighbourhood a safer place in which to live. Examples include organising a neighbourhood watch scheme, looking out for vulnerable groups within the community or organising intergenerational projects aimed at reducing prejudices between young and old.
Encouraging Healthier Lifestyles - To recognise an individual who actively encourages young and old alike to participate in any activity that contributes to a healthier lifestyle. Examples include organising recreational activities such as keep fit, swimming and walking, promoting healthy eating or encouraging community gardens.
Promoting Equality and Good Relations - To recognise an individual who has actively promoted equality and good relations activity. Examples include encouraging anti racism or anti sectarianism projects and supporting cross-border work with communities from a different background.
Arts and Entertainment - To recognise an individual who has made a significant contribution to the local arts and entertainment sector. Examples include setting up an arts group, putting on a production in the district, improving access to the arts or running a local talent show.
Outstanding Bravery - To recognise an individual who has put themselves at risk or in danger to help or save the life of another.
Fundraiser of the Year - To recognise a tireless charity fundraiser of any age – someone who has shown real commitment to raising money for good causes.
Lifetime Achievement - To recognise an individual whose achievements have been far-reaching over a significant period of time.
Voluntary Community Work - To recognise an individual who has undertaken voluntary work to improve the quality of life of people in the community.
Outstanding Achievement of the Year (discretionary) - To recognise an individual who the judging panel consider to be exemplar in the difference they have made to the community.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Dromore
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 8 mph
Wind direction: South
Temperature: 8 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North west