Arson attack at Craigavon Area Hospital

Craigavon Area Hospital. INLM02-110gc
Craigavon Area Hospital. INLM02-110gc

A 23-year-old male, arrested in connection with an incident at Craigavon Area Hospital on Wednesday, January 3, has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Read more: Ongoing crisis at Craigavon’s Area Hospital
Chief Inspector Jon Burrows posted on social media that at around 6pm, an industrial bin was set on fire at a loading bay at Craigavon Area Hospital.

Mr Burrows said that this was close to critical departments at the hospital.

Upper Bann DUP MLA Carla Lockhart has commended the emergency services for their swift action in dealing with the attempted arson attack.

Commenting the Assembly member said: “I am glad that due to the swift action of the Fire and Rescue Service and the PSNI, an attempted arson attack at Craigavon Area Hospital was halted.

I understand that the incident took place at the pharmacology lab and there was significant damage to equipment. Thankfully any risk posed to staff and further damage to this unit was averted last night. Praise must be given to the Fire and Rescue Service who dealt with the matter efficiently and to the PSNI who have made a subsequent arrest.

“This sinister incident has come at a time when our health service is under incredible pressure. It defies logic that someone would seek to destroy our local hospital. Today I am meeting with the Health Trust to discuss the recent crisis.”

While Sinn Féin MLA for the area, John O’Dowd said: “I want to condemn this attack outright. Our health services is under severe pressure. Any lasting damage caused to the pharmacy wing of the hospital could have resulted in multiple deaths.

“Fortunately, on this occasion, there were no fatalities and no lasting damage was caused. But it could have been so very different.

“I want to praise emergency services and staff at Craigavon Area Hospital for their quick response which helped bring the fire under control - ensuring no loss of life. The suspect is now in police custody.”