Dramatic conclusion to cup tie

Share this article

ON FA Cup weekend with all its dramas and excitement, there was plenty in this match to write a whole book.

All the matches this season against Warrenpoint have been close matches and this was to be the same.

The first half was very close and Dromore started brightly which some neat passing and nice moves. Joel took a great corner but no one could finish.

Warrenpoint had their own chances and their number nine scored from close rang with no one marking him. He had another chance but Josh saved well. Just before the half time whistle the keeper cleared leaving his goal empty. Matthew Briggs had a chance from 20 yards out, but pushed the ball wide.

The second half Dromore showed more purpose. Morgan and Matthew Magill passed well down the right and Matthew got a great cross in but Adam could not get to it, with an empty goal gaping. The next chance was taken. Nathan took a long throw in and with only the defender to beat, cut in onto his right and hammered the ball home.

Within three minutes Adam had an identical chance but instead of going for goal, passed the ball to Ban and Matthew Magill, neither player could control the ball and it went wide of the goal.

Adam was on fire now and had the measure of his defender. Adam produced another run down the left and a neat cross was met but a cheeky back heal by Matthew Magill. Dromore were on top and should have seen the game out.

However, Warrenpoint were pouring players forward, Nathan and Joel had a situation 5 on 2, but they cleared the ball well.

Philip was playing a great ball-winning game in midfield and Ben was battling hard up front. Then Warrenpoint gained a corner, which was taken well and cleared out of the box, but the second clearance was missed and they calmly equalised with five minutes to go.

Penalties are where Josh Jennings shines. Last year he saved quite a few in a school competition, and now he was to become the star of the show again. He wasn’t needed on the first kick as it went high and wide. Joel Nixon (Captain) took the first responsibility and scored low and hard to the keeper’s right. The next Warrenpoint player was to see his penalty tipped over the bar by Josh. Up came Philip Johnson, but he missed. The third player for Warrenpoint, nearly had his shot saved by Josh but although Josh got his leg to it, it still went in.

The next player was Morgan Houston, who scored down the right too. The fourth penalty taker from Warrenpoint, tried to score but again Josh tip it over the bar. So Matthew Briggs, the club’s top scorer, had the chance to win the tie. He hit it well but the keeper had flung himself to his left, the ball was spinning back towards the goal, but just went wide. The last taker for Warrenpoint scored, so it was all down to Adam Jennings.

Adam stood with hands on his hips, looking calm as he could waiting for the whistle. The run up was great and the shot into the left hand corner was even better. He run towards his team mates in pure delight. A great end to a fantastic match.

The coaches John and Dave were very pleased with the performance of the team and the hard work they put in.