‘Cloney defeated by late winner

editorial image

In a league game completely controlled by the weather, Donacloney Firsts made the trip up to Newmills to be met by a strong breeze sweeping across the pitch.

Newmills made the decision to play with the breeze in the first half but it was ‘Cloney who, against the run of play, took the lead.

Chris Shields’ corner kick was not held by the keeper and Stuart Wilson was on hand to hit the ball into the net from close range.

The Donacloney defence failed to close down a Newmills attack in the box and the Newmills forward turned expertly to put the ball into the bottom corner and level the scores.

Newmills took the lead with a long range effort that Cloney ‘keeper Curran was unable to hold to in the difficult conditions, before further extending their advantage as their forward latched onto a through ball and slotted home for 3-1.

Despite being second best playing against the wind, ‘Cloney could have levelled the scores before the break as a rare foray forward from converted left back Gary Knox was rewarded with a penalty as he was taken down in the box.

Unfortunately Chris Shields penalty was well saved by the Newmills ‘keeper who guessed the right way. Stuart Wilson also had a header cleared off the line.

The second half was a different story as Donacloney dominated the game, with Chris Shields beating the offside trap and then expertly rounding the ‘keeper to reduce the deficit before Johnny Brown equalised, guiding a powerful header into the net from another Shields corner.

However for the second game in a row, Donacloney fell asleep in the dying moments allowing a Newmills counterattack down the right hand side to snatch the win.

Donacloney Firsts team; Derek Curran, Jason Stokes, Tim Carson, Dave Watterson, Gary Knox, Damien Higgins, Jonny Brown, Danny Read, Steven Leckey, Stuart Wilson, Chris Shields. Subs; Kiefer O’Boyle (replaced Read) and Peter Wylie (replaced Knox).

Donacloney Firsts are on the road again in Division 3 this week, away to Armagh Blues, with the Reserves at home again, this time to Silverwood in Reserve Division 3 on Saturday afternoon.

Donacloney Reserves hosted Seagoe Reserves and a game of very few chances was settled with a single goal in the opening few minutes of the game.

Seagoe’s corner kick came off the head of ‘Cloney defender Alan Harrison and into the roof of the net.

Donacloney’s new signing Chris Clague was impressive in the centre of midfield alongside Hugh Dempsey and Clague had a chance after going past 3 Seagoe players but saw his shot sail wide of the goal. ‘Cloney made a couple of changes but were unable to grab the equaliser.