Devlin’s super saves earn Town U15s a point

editorial image

Not for the first time this season, Town’s Under 15s had Aaron Devlin to thank on Saturday morning.

The goalkeeper produced two outstanding saves to earn the locals a point in a pulsating game with Dungannon at the Tech.

In an end-to-end affair both teams played some beautiful football at times but it was Town who created the best chances early on.

With Shea Winters and Keelan Quigley pulling the strings in the middle of the park they forced the visitors deep into their half and after a series of attacks they won a free kick 30 yards out with 25 minutes of the half gone. Centre back James Orr stepped up and hit a delightful kick that sailed high and curled magnificently into the top corner leaving the ‘keeper stranded on his spot.

At the other end Dungannon looked dangerous on the counter attack, especially their number 10 and at it was this player who got their equaliser.

Town took the lead again early in the second half when Cameron Sands scored from close range after good build-up play between Michael Kelly and Jamie Feeney.

Midway through the half as both sides searched for another goal Dungannon were reduced to ten men.

As often happens the team with ten men find a new gear, and Dungannon began a 15 minute period of possession, earning a penalty when Aaron Devlin brought down the forward and the penalty was dispatched with ease.

The visitors searched for the winner and the almost scored when Devlin produced his first outstanding save.

A few minutes later he was called in action again when he made another brilliant save down to his right to get a strong hand on a pile driver and push it to safety.

Town almost sealed the win at the death when Feeney almost scored when he was put through but he was unable to slide the ball under the ‘keeper.

This was a fair result in the end and proves that this Under-15 side can mix it with the best teams in the league.

Best for Town was Aaron Devlin and James Orr.