‘Five mad minutes’ see Dromore Amateurs defeated

Andrew Henderson in action for the Amateurs. INBL1507-241EB
Andrew Henderson in action for the Amateurs. INBL1507-241EB

Dromore Amateurs travelled to Monkstown to play 18th Newtownabbey on Saturday, knowing that a victory would make sure of them finishing ahead of their hosts.

The game started brightly with Dromore on the attack from the off.

On five minutes Dromore should have taken the lead when S.Haslem was put through on goal by J.Beattie, but he shot straight at the oncoming goalkeeper and the follow up by J.Beattie was also well saved.

18th were putting the Dromore back line under pressure with the long ball and a miss judged ball resulted in the 18th winger just narrowly putting the ball past the post.

The opening goal came in the 20th minute when slack defending by Dromore allowed the 18th striker to volley in from 12 yards.

The challenges were flying in and the midfield battle was heating up before Dromore had another great chance when good work by G.Rowan sent W.McMurray through on goal but his shot was well saved by the 18th keeper.

At half time the mood was subdued but the players were made aware that if they had taken their chances the scoreline could gave been much different.

The second half started with Dromore looking for the equaliser from the off, but it was 18th who were looking more likely to score and on 60 minutes they got their second goal when a ball into the box wasn’t dealt with and the striker headed the ball in.

This, however, aggravated N.Thompson in goals who clearly felt he had been elbowed in the build up.

Dromore started to put the pressure onto the 18th back line and they were unlucky with a few attempts on goal.

On 70 minutes Dromore pulled a goal back when a free kick free S.Haslem was parried out by the 18th keeper and the follow up put in his own net by the 18th defender.

This should have been the turning point for Dromore but on 75 minutes 18th had a goal disallowed for off side.

Dromore got their equaliser minutes later when good play down the left resulted in the ball falling to J.Beattie inside the box and he tucked the ball away.

The next five minutes saw the game change when S.Haslem got himself stupidly sent off and 18th got the winner when a needless free kick was given away and the resulting free kick was deflected in off the Dromore player at the front post.

Afterwards a disappointed Brownlee commented: “Some of the team let themselves down today with a lack of discipline both on and off the pitch.

“We showed great determination to get back on level terms but then threw it all away in five mad minutes.

“The players need to pick themselves up for the remaining six matches,” he commented.

Saturday sees Dromore host Iveagh at Ferris Park, with a 2pm kick off in a match they need to win.

Dromore Amateurs Team: N.Thompson, A.McDonald, A.Henderson, T.Martin, J.Walker, J.Beattie, G.Rowan, W.Mc Murray, S.Haslem, C.Gilliland, C.Mallon, A.Compton, B.Lavery, P.Tinsley.