FOOTBALL: Thornton hails BAWA as Moneyslane go through

Jonny Kernaghan netted twice for Moneyslane on Saturday. INBL1633-207PB
Jonny Kernaghan netted twice for Moneyslane on Saturday. INBL1633-207PB

Moneyslane manager Dan Thornton hailed his club’s supporters after Saturday’s Marshall Cup last 16 victory.

The BAWA cheered their side on to a 3-0 win at Markethill Swifts, all the goals coming in the second half from a Jonny Kernaghan brace and another from Mikey Withers.

“It was a tale of two halves,” said Thornton. “In the first, Markethill were the better side and in the secondn we bossed it.

“I can only apologise to the fans who travelled for that first half performance. It wasn’t good enough and we are far better than what we showed but the boys knew that and they turned it around second half.

“They ran out comfortable winners in the end. That win sees us progress into the quarter final where we play either Dungannon Rovers or local rivals Banbridge Rangers so it’s set up nicely. I’d like to thank the fans who travelled in their numbers to the game - they’re a real credit to this great club.”

The game got underway with the home side forcing the issue and inside the first minute Crawford made a great save down low to his right from a shot inside the box. The rebound was fired wide with the net open.

Moneyslane were sluggish in the opening half hour giving possession away cheaply and not matching the hosts hunger in long spells of the first half. Withers fired wide on the half hour mark and Kernaghan had a free kick well saved while at the other end, Shaw fired just wide of the upright from the edge of the area.

The half time interval came at the right time for Slane as they were told a few home truths and it showed in a very dominant second half performance where the boys upped their game somewhat.

The opening goal came ten minutes into the second half when Withers twisted and turned at the left corner flag beating two Swifts defenders before driving into the box where he was upended by the covering defender and the spot kick was awarded by the referee.

Mr Reliable Jonny Kernaghan stepped up and cooly slotted the ball past the stranded keeper much tithe delight of the traveling Moneyslane BAWA.

The second goal came on the hour mark when a good move through midfield saw Kingsmore played through on goal and rather than shoot himself, the striker squared the ball to Kernaghan for a simple tap in from six yards out to double his tally.

Scott Larmour soon saw a header saved and Michael McLean nodded over from another corner.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Ervine stopped a Markethill attack before playing a quick one-two with Adair and spreading the ball to Hainon to whip in a great cross that was met by Withers who powered a header past the keeper.

In the dying minutes, Kingsmore went close and at the other end a fine piece of defending from Shilliday made sure Moneyslane progressed to the quarter-final of this season’s Marshall Cup.