Gordon goal seals spoils on away trip for Rangers as locals move up to fifth

Banbridge Rangers have begun the New Year in perfect style with a 1-0 win. INBL1449-240PB
Banbridge Rangers have begun the New Year in perfect style with a 1-0 win. INBL1449-240PB

Banbridge Rangers ground out a 1-0 win away to Crewe United to claim all three points and move into fifth position in Intermediate A.

The Gers were severely depleted due to injury and work commitments but were able to call on several young players who gained valuable experience with Dean Gordon scoring the solitary goal.

The pitch at Crewe Park was quite bobbly and sticking in patches and this contributed to scrappy game and helped create the opening chance for the home side.

A pull back after five minutes from the byline should have been cleared but the ball bounced awkwardly away from McCrum and the Crewe striker had a free shot on goal but sliced wide.

The Gers best chance of the early exchanges came from a corner with Ryan Gregg volleying goalwards after 12 minutes but saw a Crewe defender produce a great block.

Midway through the half saw a Crewe player curl inches past the top corner and crack the stansion.

Two minutes later saw William Frazer put through on goal but he failed to carry the ball with him after an erratic bounce out of a divot.

The deadlock was broken minutes before the half time break when a Buchanan forward ball was flicked on by Cousins for Dean Gordon who made no mistake with a composed finish under the keeper.

Gordon went close to doubling his tally ten minutes after the break when he engineered a shot on his left foot after Gourley set up a counter attack but the young striker curled wide with the Crewe keeper flat footed.

Crewe’s best chance of the second half arrived on the hour mark when their defender glanced a header wide from an inswinging corner.

The remainder of the match tended to be quite feisty with several cards and a succession of free kicks for both teams but no clear cut chances were presented with Ryan Gregg and Kyle Sergeant having a particularly good game at centre half.

The only chance before the final whistle came from the Gers after a well worked corner saw Colin Cousins with a free header which fizzed inches over the bar.

It wasn’t a pretty game but the determination and defensive qualities of a young Rangers side shone through and another three points were chalked up.

The next League fixture will see St Marys visit Cheney Park this Friday evening with kick off at 8.15pm.

The return fixture in Portadown was also played on a Friday night with the Gers winning 4-2 thanks to two injury time goals.