Penalty pain for Amateurs in Clarence Cup

Colin Gilliland onthe attack for Dromore Amateurs.  photo:  photo: INBL12-616dmcw
Colin Gilliland onthe attack for Dromore Amateurs. photo: photo: INBL12-616dmcw

Dromore hosted Newington Rangers in the Clarence Cup on Saturday December 6, which ended 5 v 4 on penalties to Newington in another crazy game between the two clubs.

Dromore started on fire which was unusual for them and took the lead within the first minute when N.Curran took a short free kick to K.Bain who shot past the keeper from 25 yards.

This goal settled Dromore down and started to pass the ball about.

Newington were gradually getting back into the game but the Dromore back line of A.Compton, S.Henderson, J.Lochart, A. Henderson with N.Thompson in goals were dealing with what was being thrown at them.

The Dromore midfield of N.Curran, W. McMurray and J.Beattie were controlling the play and Dromore were well on top in the opening 25 minutes before a lapse in concentration allowed the Newington winger to send in a cross which saw the striker nip in behind J.Lochart and draw Newington level.

The equaliser shocked Dromore but they knuckled down and restored their lead just before half time when a N.Curran free kick was put away by P.Tinsley with a great header at the back post.

The second half started with Dromore again in control and it didn’t take them long to get a third when good work in the box by J.Beattie resulted in him being brought down and he tucked away the penalty.

Dromore should have pushed on from this but they went flat and allowed Newington back into the game. A few changes were made with T.Stewart, C . Gilliland coming on for Dromore.

With 15 minutes remaining Newington were awarded a penalty when N.Thompson in goal was judged to have brought down the Newington player much to the dismay of the Dromore players.

The penalty was tucked away to make it 3-2 with 10 minutes remaining.

Dromore made their final change with five minutes left bringing on B.Lavery.

With the 90 minutes up Newington had a final corner and it was from this that they scored the equaliser.

With the match now into extra time there were few chances for either team in the 20 minutes which then moved into the lottery of a penalty shoot out.

Dromore missed the first and only penalty miss out of the 10 taken to see Newington progress to the next round.

Afterwards a disappointed Brownlee said: “Wwe had a great start for a change but after getting the third goal we stopped when we should have pushed on for a fourth to kill the game off.”

Dromore would like to wish Newington Rangers all the best in the next round.

As of going to press Dromore had no fixture details for December 13.

Team. N.Thompson, J.Lochart, A. Compton, S.Henderson, A. Henderson, N.Curran, W. McMurray, J.Beattie, K.Bain, C.Mallon, P.Tinsley, B.Lavery, C .Gilliland, T.Stewart.