Rangers exit Intermediate Cup despite taking an early lead

Rangers' Neil Clydesdale in recent action against Seapatrick. INBL1540-294PB
Rangers' Neil Clydesdale in recent action against Seapatrick. INBL1540-294PB

Banbridge Rangers exited the Intermediate Cup last Saturday with a home defeat to Dunmurry Rec.

The Amateur League side started well and opened the scoring in the 8th minute from a quick counter attack after Matty McKnight had went close to converting a low Coly Cousins cross.

An equaliser arrived in the 17th minute after a superb ball into the channel by Jeff Brady looked to have evaded Matthew Dodds but he was able to tackle the ball into the path of McKnight who beat the keeper from 8 yards in his first start for the seniors this season.

Dunmurry’s passing and movement gave the Gers back line plenty to think about and conceeded two yellow cards in the process.

The game changing moment arrived in the 37th minute when a straight forward shot by Jeff Brady was spilled by the Dunmurry keeper. The ball appeared to have spun behind the goal line by at least a yard but the referee refused to award the goal which would have put the Gers in front just before half time.

As fate would have it Rangers saw Brady leave the field soon after and on the stroke of half time Dunmurry scored to make it 2-1. Matthew Dodds went close to equalising in stoppage time with a thunderous drive which struck the crossbar.

The only goal of the second half went Dunmurry’s way with another swift counter attack in the 51st minute.

Rangers’ best opportunities came through Andy Mallen who failed to connect with a Frazer cross midway through the second half and in the final ten minutes he was played in on goal but denied by a superb save from the keeper.

An open end to the game should have provided goals at both ends but it wasn’t to be for the Gers.

This Saturday Banbridge Rangers head to Tandragee to take on the Rovers in the Quarter Final of the Premier Cup with kick off at 2.15pm.

Greenfield Park 2

Rangers Reserves 5

Banbridge Rangers Reserves progressed to the second round of the Mid Ulster Shield with a comfortable win over Carnbane League side Greenfield Park.

Aaron Chambers opened the scoring in the 18th minute for Rangers after a bright start from the away side at Derryleckagh Playing Fields.

A second goal followed within five minutes after Stuart Cairns won possession in midfield and played a weighted ball into the path of Dean Gordon who broke the off side trap and slotted past keeper.

Rangers controlled much of the opening half but Greenfield pulled a goal back four minutes until the break with a superb goal.

The two goal advantage was restored ten minutes after the interval when Kyle Sergeant got on the end of an inswinging corner kick.

The fourth goal arrived with twenty minutes to go after the ball was worked down the right hand side before being played into Dean Gordon who rifled into the roof of the net.

Greenfield conceeded a fifth goal late on when their centre half passed the ball back to his keeper and as he went to kick it out it hit a bobble and went over his foot into the net.

The Reserves are in action this Saturday at Cheney Park with unbeaten Annagh United visiting. Kick off 2.15pm.