Rangers Under 16’s reach final

editorial image

Banbridge Rangers U16s 6

Markethill Under 16s 0

Banbridge Rangers took on Markethill Swifts at Gordon Playing fields in the Semi Final of the Mid Ulster Cup and came away with a place in the final after a comfortable victory.

The match however, did not start well for the Rangers and early on in the match they were put under a lot of pressure from Markethill and only for an outstanding save from Craig Robinson in the first five minutes the game remained scoreless.

Markethill had plenty of energy in the first 20 minutes and caused the Rangers defenders problems with Rangers unable to get into a playing rhythm.

Rangers started to get into the game more and started to put the pressure on the Markethill keeper who pulled off two quality saves before the deadlock was broken.

Matthew Dodds received the ball from a throw out on the right and turned his marker and struck a shot which sailed over the keeper and into the far corner.

This goal gave the Rangers team a lease of life and they played better with the goal advantage and soon went 2-0 up.

After Matthew Smylie was fouled, Dean McIlvena whipped in a perfect ball that was met in the air by Reuben Cobb whose powerful header gave the keeper no chance.

With a two goal advantage Rangers came out in the second half full of confidence and extended their lead when Matthew Smylie went on a run past two players and cut in on his right foot and struck a sweet shot that was saved by the keeper but the rebound was followed up by Matthew Holloway who composed himself and slotted past the keeper.

With the Markethill players now tiring and Rangers controlling the game it wasn’t long until Rangers got their fourth when some neat football lead to Bradley Harper getting space on the edge of the box and took his time to pick his spot and finished into the bottom corner.

With the score 4-0, Rangers made a few changes and brought on fresh legs which proved beneficial when minutes after coming onto the pitch David Barr got the fifth goal of the game.

He was played through on goal and raced away from the Markethill defence and with only the keeper to beat he neatly placed the ball into the bottom corner.

With minutes remaining Rangers got their sixth when a corner played in by Matthew Smylie was headed in when Ryan Woods out jumped the Markethill defenders and headed the ball low and hard past the keeper.

A great result for Banbridge Rangers that sees them face Dungannon Youth in the final on April 18.