Reserves exit cup at first stage in high scoring match

Ryan Gregg on the ball in a recent match for Banbridge Rangers �Paul Byrne Photography INBL1449-242PB
Ryan Gregg on the ball in a recent match for Banbridge Rangers �Paul Byrne Photography INBL1449-242PB

Banbridge Rangers Res 3

Dollingstown Reserves 7

Last year’s Wilmor Johnston Cup runners up Banbridge Rangers Reserves exited this seasons competition at the first stage after a high scoring game against Dollingstown Reserves at Cheney Park.

The opening quarter of an hour saw the two teams size each other up with the away side opening the scoring through a Wright header at the back post on 18 minutes.

Banbridge Rangers response was swift with returning striker Stuarty Cairns dispatching the equaliser after a fortuitous deflection.

The joy was short lived as Dollingstown went back in front within sixty seconds as Ewins converted the third goal of the game in a four minute patch.

On 37 minutes Andy Mallen made no mistake from 12 yards as he converted a penalty to draw the sides level for the second time in the match.

On the stroke of half time Dollingstown took a 3-2 lead after Wright notched his second goal and the Gers seemed to switch off as they conceeded a fourth goal within a minute of the restart and went into the changing rooms chasing a two goal deficit.

After the restart the next goal was going to prove crucial and after a tentative opening period the Gers started to find more in attack but ended up conceeding a killer fifth goal just before the hour mark as Wright secured his hattrick.

The Dollingstown side were in control of proceedings and scored a sixth goal through a substitute and added a seventh late on through former Rangers first team captain Chris Loney.

The only highlight before the end of the game was a superb goal by winger Ryan Weir who scored a consolation from 25 yards into the top corner.

This Saturday the Gers second string head to Lisburn to take on Ballymacash Rangers Reserves in the Reserve Championship League with kick off at 2.00pm.