Too little, too late for Town as Rhys nets

editorial image

Banbridge Town U17Bs lost out a narrow encounter 2-1 to Annagh United at Havelock Park in the Lisburn League.

After going in 2-0 behind at the break, Rhys Jones capped off his MOTM display with a goal but Town couldn’t quite force an equaliser.

Banbridge goalkeeper Jordan Moore was forced into early action with some quality saves to keep Annagh out, while lone striker Sam Moore was working hard trying to earn himself a chance at goal.

Despite the resilience of the local boys, who were still struggling to settle into the rhythm of the game, Annagh took the lead on 17 minutes after a super strike from the edge of the area.

With Banbridge still trying to find their feet, and Annagh upping the tempo and a reshuffle of the pack was just what the doctor ordered. Jordan Walker pushed into midfield and the introduction of Jack Hamilton added that much needed bit of fight in the middle of the park.

As Banbridge began to settle they were hit with a sucker punch and fell two behind on 26 minutes when Jordan Moore produced a great save only for an Annagh player to have the ball land at his feet for a tap in.

Half time worked wonders, and after the restart Banbridge looked a different side. Captain Jake Laffin received the ball into feet and ran with intent at the Annagh defence before forcing their keeper into a good save.

The Town rallied and began asking more and more questions of Annagh, who were forced back and could only escape their half on the break. Rhys Jones was giving the visiting full back a nightmare of an afternoon as he began pulling strings and creating chances.

Town soon pulled a goal back when Jordan Walker received the ball on the edge of the area, rolled his man and played in Rhys Jones to finish well into the bottom corner.

The rest of the match was a barrage of Banbridge attacks, with chances to equalise ending up the wrong side of the post. The clock ran on and Annagh played smart football to cling on to their narrow lead, with full time coming too soon for the locals who deserved to take at least a point.

Man of the match was Rhys Jones for an composed and technically flawless performance, topped with a goal.