Town denied by late equaliser in an actual six pointer

editorial image

No cliche needed, last Saturday’s match was a literal six pointer for Banbridge Town B U17s who took on Greenisland U17s in what was classed as a double header in the Lisburn League.

It took a last gasp equaliser to deny Town the win. They were behind at the breka but Sam McCallister levelled and Rhys Jones looked to have sealed all six points three minutes from time before Greenisland made it 2-2.

Banbridge kicked off the game, and Jordan Walker set the tone by instantly pinging a world class pass over to the running captain Jake Laffin to control on his chest and shoot narrowly wide.

Greenisland’s main threat was their pace on the counter, however Ryan Sloan and Ryan Jones had the measure of their opposition and defended strongly.

Some great combination play from Ryan Angus and Liam Farrell almost produced a chance for Town’s Sam McCallister only for the ball to fall the wrong side of the post. Banbridge were playing all the football and were unlucky not to find themselves in front.

Keeper Conor Ward was commanding his area well, snuffing out any danger.

Despite Town’s best efforts though, it was Greenisland who broke the deadlock with 20 minutes played, a swift breakaway was well saved by Ward only for a sliding player to squeeze the ball over the line.

That gave Greenisland a narrow lead heading into half-time and against the run of play.

The second half began much the same as the first, with Banbridge asking all the questions.

Jordan Walker, Ryan Angus and Rhys Jones were winning the midfield battle, playing some scintillating football in the process.

Sam McCallister was edging closer to an equaliser when he burst through the middle only to be denied by a last ditch challenge.

Ten minutes into the half though, McCallister got the goal his efforts deserved. He did well to roll his man won the battle of strength and buried the ball low and hard.

With Town level, they could sense a winner as they pushed the Greenisland back line to their limits. Ryan Angus and Jordan Walker were pulling all the strings, only for a last ditch challenge to cut out each attack.

Banbridge were celebrating 10 minutes from time when McCallister headed in from a corner, only for their joy to be cut short as the referee chalked off the goal for an alleged push.

With three minutes to play, Banbridge made sure this one counted when Rhys Jones controlled a Jordan Walker free kick on his chest before turning and lashing home. The game had more to give and Greenisland weren’t finished either as they came straight at Town from the restart.

A series of deflections and blocked shots fell fortunately to a Greenisland striker, who gladly levelled the game and robbed the Town boys of a win they would have fully deserved.

This week’s man of the match for Town was Jordan Walker for a flawless performance in the heart of the Banbridge team.