Town’s cup football over for the season

Stephen Acheson in action for Town. INBL1643-221PB
Stephen Acheson in action for Town. INBL1643-221PB

Banbridge Town’s cup exploits are over for this season as they exited the IFA’s Intermediate Cup at the first stage.

They did it with a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Premier Intermediate Division rivals Bangor.

The Banbridge side showed one change from last week’s match with Stuart Thompson moving to full-back replacing the unavailable Danny Devlin and Stephen Greene coming in at centre back.

Town started well and had their first serious attempt on goal after only two minutes when Conor Downey broke down the right but his effort was parried for a corner by visiting keeper Gibbons.

Banbridge created a further opportunity in the 10th minute when Stuart King released Clydesdale, but his shot was also saved. Bangor responded immediately only to be thwarted by Thompson’s superb tackle with the resultant corner headed wide by Armstrong.

Town fashioned a third opportunity when Cairnduff’s long punt fooled the away defence but Downey snatched at the chance and the ball hit the side netting.

Bangor gradually came more into the match and their pacey attack began to look dangerous. It came as no surprise that Town conceded a goal after a spell of pressure when in the 22nd minute the dangerous McMullen cut in from the left and fired a shot past Cairnduff.

Bangor dominated for most of the remainder of the half and indeed nearly snatched a second, again through McMullen, but Cairnduff saved with his feet. Just before half time, Moffatt found Clydesdale in space but yet again, Gibbons was equal to the task.

Town replaced McCartan for Niall Devlin at the start of the second period with King moving out to right but Bangor always looked dangerous with Walsh and Beattie pulling the strings in midfield.

King replaced himself with Andrew Wilson after 55 minutes in an attempt to inject more pace going forward but Town were dealt a killer blow when, on the hour, Jordan Lucas’ cross from the right touchline sailed into the net via the far post to double the visitors’ lead.

King responded immediately bringing on Ashley Gregg for Stephen Green and changing to a 3-4-3 formation but Town just could not break down Bangor’s resolute defence even though they were reduced to 10 men shortly before the end following a retaliatory offence.

Bangor’s Jordan Lucas was nominated as Man of the Match by the IFA representatives as part of the tie of the round accreditation.

Banbridge Town would like to thank Q-Cabs (Banbridge) for their match sponsorship and Fyffes for their sponsorship of the match ball.

TOWN: Cairnduff; J.Wilson; Acheson; Green (Gregg 67); Thompson; Anderson; McCartan (Devlin 45); King (A Wilson 55); Moffatt; Clydesdale; Downey

Unused Subs: McKeviit; Black


Town get back to league action on Saturday and face a real six-pointer as they host Moyola Park (kick-off 3pm).

Both sides are tied on four points.

Town haven’t beaten Moyola in the last five meetings, losing four.