Town’s unbeaten run is Dun for

Ryan Moffatt netted for Town on Saturday. INBL1617-253PB
Ryan Moffatt netted for Town on Saturday. INBL1617-253PB

Banbridge Town’s five-game unbeaten league record was wrecked by a fighting second half from Dundela at Wilgar Park on Saturday.

The hosts turned a 1-0 half-time deficit into a 3-1 victory as Ryan Moffatt’s first half strike, in the end, couldn’t prevent a defeat for Town.

Conor Downey was stretchered off for Town but hasn't suffered any broken bones. INBL1602-220PB

Conor Downey was stretchered off for Town but hasn't suffered any broken bones. INBL1602-220PB

The returning Kevin Anderson replaced the injured Ross Black in midfield in an otherwise unchanged team and Town looked all set for another productive afternoon.

Following the initial skirmishing, the visitors adapted themselves to the cramped surroundings and began to impose their football upon the hosts.

It took only five minutes for Anderson to threaten the home goal but the midfielder pulled his shot wide when well placed. Town began to dominate proceedings and in the 19th minute, skipper Moffatt hit the bar with a curling shot.

He went one better a minute later. Good work down the left allowed Anderson to square the ball and from 20 yards Moffatt crashed home past the despairing dive of Seargeant in the home goal.

Moffatt continued to prosper on Town’s right as Town pressed for a second. Anderson, McCartan and King controlled midfield and Acheson and Greene dealt comfortably with Dundela’s persistent long ball tactics.

The complexion of the match changed completely when, on the half hour, striker Conor Downey had to be stretchered off with a wound on the striker’s calf. This incensed Town’s players especially when the perpetrator received a yellow card for the challenge - the felt it should have been red. On came substitute Stephen McCavitt.

The second period was a complete reversal of the first as Dundela took over the match. They replaced Hanley with James Sofley at half time and the substitution paid immediate dividends as he set up a shooting chance for Jackson.

Dundela equalised in the 52nd minute through substitute Sofley and he provided the second goal when he squared the ball for Brown to slide home six minutes later.

Town’s visits in to Dundela’s half became more and more sporadic. Clydesdale and McCavitt worked hard but were unable to provide anything of substance especially as Dundela were controlling the midfield area. Worse was to follow for Town when, in the 70th minute, keeper Tuda Murphy was penalised for upending a Dundela forward and although he manged to save the ensuing penalty kick, the rebound fell nicely for Burrows who slotted home.

Try as they may, Town could not infiltrate Dundela’s defence and it wasn’t until the 87th minute when Moffatt’s excellent cross from the right was met by the head of McCavitt that Town really threatened.

In the end, Town’s failure to add a second in the first half cost them dearly but on the day, Dundela were good value for the three points.

TOWN: Murphy; J.Wilson; Acheson; Green; Devlin (sub A.Wilson 72); Anderson (sub McReanor 70; McCartan; King ; Moffatt; Clydesdale; Downey (Sub McCavitt 30)

Subs not used: Hayes; Thompson