Late try from league leaders beats Dromore in tight game

editorial image

A try in the last 10 minutes for Bangor edged out a fearless Dromore side 7-3 in awful conditions at Barban Hill on Saturday.

The first golden chance fell to Bangor as they used the wind to keep Dromore pinned back in their own 22m line.

A rolling maul was illegally dragged down towards the Dromore line and a penalty gave Bangor an opportunity to get the first points.

Electing to turn down the points in favour of a try, the ball was knocked on after several phases allowing Dromore to clear.

The soaked pitch made it very hard to get any momentum with most of it coming due to good forward play.

Bangor kept kicking in behind and pinning the home side back, but Dromore kept holding out. The visitors had an opportunity to counter after a ball was spilled by Dromore in midfield. With no full-back at home, Bangor kicked forward but the ball rolled dead.

As the first half progressed, Dromore could gain confidence from the fact they were defending well and keeping the table toppers at bay.

This showed in their play as hard yards from the pack. In the pack created a platform.

It was a smart game to play in horrendous conditions. The backs joined in and strong running from Brian Mcclearn helped win a penalty.

John Russell capitalised giving Dromore a well-earned lead with 10 minutes left of the first half. 3-0

Bangor returned to the Dromore half with intent forcing several penalties, but errors allowed Dromore to relieve the pressure.

Great pressure from Stuart Russell forced a category of errors and Ryan Cobb bundled the Bangor man into touch.

From the lineout the ref sent the winger to the bin for backchat. Dromore’s pressure continued, but they couldn’t find the finished product.

In the final stages of the first half, Bangor were encamped on the Dromore line, but monumental defence from the home side forced the knock on and they took a deserved lead at the break.

Dromore started with the same intent in the second half, with Ryan Cobb spiralling a great punt deep into the 22 from his own half.

A penalty was conceded allowing Bangor to relieve pressure and put together a few phases but an excellent steal from Gareth Fitzpatrick allowed Dromore some respite momentarily, as the penalty kick to touch went dead.

Scott Nelson, Ryan Cobb and John Russell didn’t allow Bangor out of their half for much of the second half.

The conditions allowed Bangor to get into the Dromore 22 for the first time in the second half. After great defence for much of the second half, the Dromore defence couldn’t hold out any longer and Bangor got into the line. 7-3 to the visitors.

Dromore returned with a fight into the Bangor half and pressured the line heavily but couldn’t find the key to unlock the Bangor defence.